Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Speculative Fiction » Fantasy Book Discussion

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:50 pm 
Baroness
Baroness

Greetings, fair readers! Welcome to The Search for the Great Fantasy Novel!

Over the next two months, staff members and guests will be making nomination posts for titles we individually believe deserve the title “Great Fantasy Novel.” At the end of August, we’ll open a poll featuring those titles for you, our readers, to vote between. But that didn’t sound like enough fun for you, so we’re opening up nominations to our readership at large.

Unlike staff members and our guests, you don’t need to come up with a lengthy defense of your title. Just give us the title and the author. If you need any guidance on what qualifications we subjected our staff and guests to, take a look at the Introduction Post.

I’ll be keeping a tally of nominated titles as the event runs, and I’ll take the top reader nominated titles (that did not already receive a nomination post) and add them to the poll on August 20th. As in, don’t worry about re-nominating a title. It actually helps that title’s chances of making it to the final round!

So...what book do you think is the Great Fantasy Novel? You can also make nominations in the comments section of the Introduction Post. I’ll be keeping tally in both places.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:10 pm 
Peasant
Peasant

I am looking at your criteria

"The title should be able to stand alone as a complete story, though it can, and likely will, be a part of a longer series. And of course, this novel needs to accurately represent the fantasy genre."

I would like to nominate, American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:46 pm 
Visitor
Visitor

I would like to nominate, Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:21 pm 
Baroness
Baroness

Both excellent choices! (Y)

Post Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:59 am 
Visitor
Visitor

I'd like to nominate THE TALISMAN by Stephen King and Peter Straub.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:23 am 
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Oh nice! I've heard great things about that one. A friend who isn't even into speculative fiction keeps telling me to read that.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:35 pm 
Wanderer
Wanderer

Boringly predictable of me but it would be silly not to have Lord of the Rings on the list.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:50 pm 
Baroness
Baroness

I don't think it's possible not to have something by Tolkien on the list. If we want to talk about influential books in the genre, he founded modern fantasy.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:54 pm 
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Yeah, Tolkien definitely needs to be on the list of nominees. Yet, I don't feel his work is extremely literary. :oops:

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:50 pm 
Visitor
Visitor

"Uncrown. The Lord of Emperors awaits you now."

Well, after reading Lord of Emperors, along with its predecessor in 'The Sarantine Mosaic', Sailing to Sarantium too many times to number & with apologies to Dennis Green, I want to say one thing about Guy Gavriel Kay.

CROWN HIM. (slams lectern) HE IS WHO WE THOUGHT HE WAS!

Part of the reason for my choice comes down to timing. The quicker turnaround between the two books of the Mosaic, the fact that they followed another favourite of mine, The Lions of Al-Rassan, and the most important issue of timing for me, the inescapable feeling of an author at the acme of his craft, in total command of his narrative.

Fantasy novels, especially in a series, even if they stand up, alone - as I feel Lord of Emperors does - can often be teeth-grindingly enslaved by themes & motifs suggested by grandiose series titles. It's as if the author and their editor feel duty bound to adhere slavishly to a 'good idea at the time', without being able to adequately bring it to life.

Guy Gavriel Kay, in Lord of Emperors reaches a level of resonance - both in book, and real-world at large - that is so faithful to the theme his series title suggests, and so perfect in terms of timing and reaffirming his unalloyed quality as an artist of note.

You do have to read Sailing to Sarantium first, but when you begin Lord of Emperors, you are immediately swept up and into the larger scope and greater ambition, of the book and in the book. Every time I read, I see an angle in the tesserrae, previously unnoticed. Or, if previously observed, catching the light in a different way.

I can't imagine ever not being captivated, entranced and challenged whenever I open the well worn covers and look up to see a thing of wonder. I always look forward to the feeling of surrendering myself, very much like the mosaic tile, into the scarred, caring hands of a master craftsman, as he carries me up a neverending scaffold, into the domes and semi-domes of the highest ambit of his art.

Lord of Emperors does that for me, every time I read it, always in a slightly different way. Even the most indelible of scenes in my minds eye, from this book, are changed, always for the better, by the prismic refractions its depth of quality and detail evoke.

For mine, it just doesn't get any better.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Board index » Speculative Fiction » Fantasy Book Discussion